- This event has passed.
Gettysburg Civil War Institute– Battlefield Tour, Lecture, and Book Signing
June 22, 2018 @ 8:00 am - June 24, 2018 @ 5:00 pm
For over 35 years, the Civil War Institute at Gettysburg College has hosted an annual summer conference bringing leading historians and public audiences together for battlefield tours, small group discussions, lectures, and roundtable conversations about the Civil War era. Sessions, lodging, and meals are held on the 200-acre college campus. The 2018 CWI Conference will feature a wide range of topics, including prisoner of war experiences, Meade’s leadership at Gettysburg, Union spy Elizabeth Van Lew, Hood’s Texas Brigade, Lee’s Lieutenants, common soldiers, and the generalship of Ulysses S. Grant. In addition to touring the Gettysburg battlefield, participants will have the opportunity to visit a variety of other nearby battlefields and historic sites on tours that will explore photography at Antietam, John Brown’s raid on Harpers Ferry, Second Manassas, and more. New additions to the 2018 conference include special Saturday evening tours of the Gettysburg battlefield, “lunch-in” discussions with CWI faculty, and faculty-led discussions about Civil War movies. The 2018 conference will offer something for everyone, from longtime students of the Civil War to those who are new to Civil War history.
- Kent Masterson Brown, “Meade at Gettysburg”
- Susannah Ural (University of Southern Mississippi), “Hood’s Boys: The Texas Brigade and the American Civil War”
- Wilson Greene, “The Battle of the Crater”
- Jonathan Lande (Brown University), “USCT Desertion”
- Elizabeth Varon (University of Virginia), “Union Spy: Elizabeth Van Lew”
- Deirdre Cooper Owens (Queens Colllege—City University of New York), “Slave Medicine”
- James Robertson (Virginia Tech) and Peter Carmichael (Gettysburg College), “A Conversation With James Robertson”